07 Mar How To Replace Your Car’s Wiper Blades
When it comes to basic car maintenance, it’s not always necessary to pay a mechanic to carry out a simple repair on your behalf, especially if a part needs regular renewal such as a worn wiper blades.
Constructed from soft rubber to prevent damage occurring to your vehicle’s windscreen, wiper blades become fragile over time and, without prompt replacement, could cause damage to the glass.
Fortunately, replacement wiper blades are inexpensive to purchase and simple to fit, whatever the make and model of your car.
When purchasing new wiper blades, make sure that you buy blades that are the correct size. Many cars have a smaller blade for the rear windscreen and, on some models, the front wiper blades are different sizes too.
Five easy steps for replacing wiper blades
- Firstly, take a moment to study the existing wiper blades to gain an understanding of how they are correctly fitted. Most wiper blades are secured by hooking a circular retaining stopper onto the metal arm; others may have small pins that need to be removed in order to loosen the blades and be replaced to secure them.
- Lift the metal wiper arms away from the windscreen carefully, as you would do if you were washing your vehicle. In their open position, the arms should extend at right angles to the windscreen and not require supporting, but take care that they don’t suddenly snap back against the glass as this could potentially cause damage to the surface of the windscreen.Covering the windscreen with a blanket or towel can be a great way to prevent accidental damage to the glass.
- Remove the old wiper blade by unhooking it from its mounting (you’ll need to push the blade firmly so that the circular retaining stopper dislodges from its retained position).
- Position the new wiper blade at the end of the metal arm where the old one was removed. Insert the circular retaining stopper into the mounting and push firmly to secure the blade in place.
- Repeat the process for the other wiper blade.
Changing your car’s wiper blades is a simple task that most owners can complete with little specialist knowledge or skills and could save you more than simply the cost of fitting by helping to protect your windscreen for years to come.